February 16, 2011

Pulled Pork - New Recipe #1

Well I'm super pleased and excited to say that the first new recipe I tried and the one that inspired this wee old blog turned out soooo good! Like I'm talking jump up and down, holy crap I can't stop eating it good! It comes from the awesome blog Tidy Mom which I just discovered a few weeks ago and have become a huge fan of. She apparently got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I followed Tidy Mom's version to the letter. It was delish and is the recipe posted below but from my experience. Thanks Tidy Mom!

There seems to be a million and one recipes for Pulled Pork out there but I'd never tried any as most of them seem to be BBQ Sauce heavy which is something I enjoy but the hubs isn't too fond of. The reason I tried this one is because Cheryl's (Tidy Mom) description of the recipe just made it sound beyond delicious and there's no BBQ Sauce in sight. This recipe is basically a merinade without the merinading part that makes the pork taste oh so yummy but the beauty is if you want to add BBQ Sauce each person can add as much or as little as they'd like.

The first night we had baked potatoes with the Pulled Pork as is and the second night we had left over Pulled Pork on Kaiser buns which we added BBQ Sauce to (again to each person's liking). I'm not a huge fan of leftovers but oooooooh man this recipe is scrumptous even on the second day. Now on to the recipe!

Wet rub (is that even a term?) or perhaps merinade (not sure what to call it) without the liquids first simply because I thought it looked pretty and again with the liquids added.

Pulled Pork

4-7 pounds pork shoulder (you could also use pork butt)
1 tsp Chili powder
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
3-4 Cloves of Garlic minced
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

* Rinse roast and pat dry.
* Mix all ingredients together (except roast) in a bowl.
* Rub all over roast.
* Spray roasting pay with no stick spray and place roast in roster. Add about 1-1/2 cups water and cover with lid. Roast at 300, 4-6 hours (1 hour per pound) – turning every hour.
* Remove the lid and roast it by turning the oven up to 400 and let it cook, skin side up 15-20 mins. This will crisp up the outsdie, yum! (This step caused some oven smoke so be sure to turn on your vent fan if you have one)
* Let it sit for about 10 mins. then shred with two forks. (This is the part that gives me hand cramps but it's worth it!)
* Pour juice from the pan over the pork and serve!

Pork in it's raw form and pork in it's cooked form.

I have to admit that shredding pork or any meat is not the funnest job. It makes my delicate hands cramp up but for this recipe I'll sacrifice!

The second day......Shredded Pork leftovers on a bun with BBQ Sauce and raw veggies. Because, as I've mentioned I'm not the best cook around I really wasn't sure of the best way to warm the pork up. I've used the microwave in the past but it's just okay so this time I put the pork in a sauce pot and added a bit of water and heated it up so that it basically steamed and oh man was it ever good. Not dry at all! Just be careful how much water you add or you'll end up with a soupy mess!

I hope you've enjoyed my first recipe. I hope to have many more for you! If you do end up trying this please let me know how it went! Happy eating!

8 comments:

  1. "jump up and down, holy crap I can't stop eating it good" ----that describes it perfectly! lol

    we haven't made it in a few month, now I need to go buy a pork roast!!

    Glad you enjoyed it, your pictures were mouthwatering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comment! And thank you once again for the delish recipe. I have to keep myself from making it, seriously! I want it again right now, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally making this tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeee, I'm so excited! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will! I just bought a pork shoulder and I've never really cooked pork before so I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos of the pulled pork look so scrumptious...I'm getting hungry.
    xo jana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jana - oh my goodness! I can't believe you found this, hee hee! This blog has been neglected badly! I really need to get with it! Thank you for your comment. The pulled pork is soooo good I want it every day! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are to a blogger what peanut butter is to jam, the best thing ever! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message!